Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Has sores near noes and eyes, About 5 weeks tilt is a french

Customer Question

Has sores near noes and eyes
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: About 5 weeks tilt is a french boydog
JA: When did the dog last see a vet? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: About year ag no to taking any thing
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Ralfie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 22 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear this.
Would you be able to send a clear photo?
Does he rub or scratch at his face?Please IGNORE any phone call requests as the website sends these automatically and I am unable to make calls.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
No he does not scratch
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Look very dry worry about his eyes
Is a photo possible?
And to confirm, he doesn't rub his face on the ground or furniture?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
He does rub on carpet
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
It is in the fold by his noes
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
It is on both sides
Thank you, ***** ***** come through and I'm reviewing it.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Phone
Bless him, what a sweet boy.
The rubbing indicates itchiness and is likely what has resulted in the fur loss.
As there's some yellow/green discharge there is quite likely a secondary bacterial infection.Given his age and breed, the most likely diagnosis would be an allergy to e.g. something in the environment (grass, trees, dust mites) and/ or food.
Other considerations would include parasites, yeast overgrowth etc.We do find that those with a lot of facial skin folds tend to be more prone to skin problems due to the warmth and moisture within the folds.He needs to be checked over so we can:1) Ensure the eyes are not folded in (entropion) and that he doesn't have 'dry eye' as these can lead to rubbing and secondary infection.2) Test for parasites such as mites with a skin scrape.3) Consider allergy testing4) Prescribe some strong anti itch medicine to allow the skin to settle. APOQUEL tend to work well.5) Provide strong prescription parasite prevention if not up to date.6) Provide antibiotics and a medicated wash for the current infection.I do hope this helps!
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Do I take him to vet
Absolutely, yes. A vet can run some tests so we get a diagnosis, provide the best anti parasite medicine and issue prescription medicine that will help immediately.
At home, use a buster collar to prevent rubbing and further inflammation and clean the discharge and in between skin folds with cotton wool and saline. Dry after thoroughly.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Not at all and please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.