JeanneV630
JeanneV630, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
109423971

We are planning to get a new puppy and was wondering whether

Customer Question

We are planning to get a new puppy and was wondering whether it is a bad idea ear to take it to visit my parents after one week question mark
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. What's the puppy's name and age?
Customer: We haven't made the puppy yet but will be picking it up on 21st of December and it will be 8 weeks
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Is it best to keep the puppy in our home for a certain amount of time before taking it anywhere while it gets used to us
Category: Dog
Expert:  JeanneV630 replied 18 days ago.

Good afternoon. I’m Jeanne, a U.K. based vet. The most important thing would be to make sure that the puppy is fully vaccinated before exposing him/her to other dogs. Puppies can get parvo virus from being exposed to areas where other dogs with the virus have been which includes all public areas and parks so we usually don’t allow them out for at-least a week after their second vaccination. With regards ***** ***** to your parents , I cannot see a problem with that , unless they have unvaccinated dogs or have had sick or unvaccinated dogs at their house or in their garden over the last 2 years .

Customer: replied 18 days ago.

Thank you so much for your response . They don't have dogs but do have cats. I guess we are concerned that a long journey and taking it out for it's new home so soon will be distressing?

It’s a pleasure . 8 weeks should be ok but It can be stressful for puppies to adapt to their new homes . Try to feed the same food the breeder feeds for the first week. After that you can gradually start introducing a new food into the diet over 7-10 days . There is not a problem with him/her being exposed to a cat. Congratulations on your new family member :)