Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

2 days agp she was bitten just above her paw it is only 1

Customer Question

2 days agp she was bitten just above her paw it is only 1 puncture mark. I washed it in salt water however its not closing her injections are up to date and not due for renewal till February
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is the dog bleeding at all? Any sign of swelling?
Customer: No its not bleeding or swollen but after resting she appears to hsve stiffness she is 3yrs old retired greyhound
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Lucy i haven't been able to register because of Covid i pay animal friends 5 a month for accident policy but they are not getting back to me
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I have had her 6 months now apart from that she is gine
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
Was she bitten by another dog and, if so, what breed were they?
Has she been licking at it?
Is she able to bear weight on it?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
She was bitten by a terrier she had been licking it i covered it with a plaster for a day thats of mow she cam weight bare is judt liimping after sleeping
Thann you.
Unfortunately dog bites often become infected due to the high level of bacteria in their mouth.
Rather than covering it, which reduces air flow, we should use a buster collar.
Do continue to clean the wound.
We should also start her on antibiotics ASAP. Your vet may be happy to prescribe these over the phone given the current climate. She may also benefit from some anti inflammatories and pain releif.