Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

She pooed and there was quite a bit of blood in a loose

Customer Question

She pooed and there was quite a bit of blood in a loose stool
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you notice there was blood in the dog's stool? Does she seem more or less thirsty than normal?
Customer: She had a normal baby earlier, then a looser one then a very loose one, she's been off her food today, no change to thirst that I've noriced
JA: Did the dog eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: Possible! New house, new area, new very large garden, different treats she didn't seem keen on, lots of possibles
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Tizzy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear Tizzy is unwell.
What age and breed is she?
Does she have any medical issues or is she on any medicine?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you. She has just turned 9 and is a Yorkshire terrier X JRT.
She has no medical issues, no medication
Please ignore any phone call requests as the website sends these automatically.Has she had any new foods, treats or bones?
When did she last get wormed?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ah, thanks. She is wormed regularly and I'm 90% sure her wormer is up to date, if not then it's only a couple of weeks overdue.
We've just moved to a house with a very large garden and orchard which she's been exploring, she's a very sensitive soul and was a bit reluctant to walk yesterday but had a great walk today. I also got some different treats of the same sort of variety as normal but she wasn't keen to have one so I've thrown the lot although the other dogs have been ok.
Ok, thank you, ***** ***** to know.
Would you be able to check if her gums are pink and wet?
Does her abdomen seem tense or bloated?
Finally, has she been panting?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Her gums are pink, they aren't dry but they aren't completely wet, kind of sticky to touch if that makes sense? She hasn't been panting and her abdomen is slightly tense but doesn't feel different to when I normally stroke it. I'll take her in tomorrow but want to check there's no emergency reason to tke her tonight, she seems quite settled
Ok, I understand. Just a few minutes as I type my full reply.
Diarrhoea that contains blood can have a number of causes including: Colitis (an inflamed gut), parasites, an infection, toxicity etc.
It's good she is drinking as this well help prevent dehydration. The tacky gums are a concern as she may have mild dehydration. J would offer boiled chicken and rice mixed with warm water to try and get her rehydrate and get some nutrients on board. Warming it up can make it more palatable.
As long as she remains settled and doesn't develop other symptoms (such as pale gums, panting, tremors, a bloated abdomen vomiting etc) she should be fine to be seen in the morning.
The vet will check her over and may prescribe medicine such as antibiotics and probiotics.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
That's great, I'll try and get her to have chicken and rice as she enjoys that occasionally anyway.
She did vomit earlier but only grass that she ate, does that still remain the same answer? Sorry, thank you
if there was a single vomit and we can (hopefully!) encourage her to eat, that doesn't change things.
Wishing her a very speedy recovery.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks so much, she's having a good drink now, thanks for putting my mind at rest
That's good!