retnev
retnev, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  All dog and cat Veterinary questions and problems.Interest in Surgery
61759096

My one year old dog has started barking at other dogs on our

My one year old dog has started barking at other dogs on our walks. Yesterday for the first time he nipped one in the face. Why is this happening and how do I stop it?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does this nipping happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: Only once it’s happened. Other times he’s just barking at them to get close to them
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the dog with his nipping?
Customer: no
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: charlie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: he’s been castrated. Walks with his dog walkers dogs fine. Only on walks by himself he barks at other dogs

Welcome, my name is***** am a BVSc-graduate of Vet School, with 15 years experience of Medicine and Surgery. It is my privilege to attend to your question shortly.

• Thank you for the question about Charlie.

• Yes, some dogs get so excited on a walk that they can get out of hand a bit.

• There is a collar I can recommend that sounds ideal for Charle. It is called a Halti Collar and with this, one has much more control over his nose and mouth. Gentle traction on the leash will actually close his mouth and prevent biting.

• It can be ordered from Amazon, or your local vet shop may also have it.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Great I already have one of those and will start using it again. Will this go over time or will he always bark at dogs? When he nipped the dogs face I did get a shock I don’t want him to be fearful and he isn’t normally with my mothers dogs or his dog walking friends when he’s out. Only dogs hes never seen before that he goes past.

Thanks. They do calm down to a certain extent as they mature. The personality does stay more or less constant.

I also have a JR who thinks he's a Rottweiler :)

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
he think he’s a lot bigger than he is haha and does like to bark at the bigger dogs not the small ones

Yes very true. They seem to like a challenge!