Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

She keeps trying to vomit but nothing comes up. She doesn’t

She keeps trying to vomit but nothing comes up. She doesn’t appear to be in pain or in distress.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: She’s sleeping now which is usual at this time of night. She started lunch time retching as if she wants to be sick, settled down a few times but started about an hour ago.
JA: How is the dog's breathing? Is it any louder, slower, or faster than normal?
Customer: breathing appears normal
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cassie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: she will be 2 next month

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.

I'm sorry to hear this.

Since it started, has she eaten?

Any salivating or pawing at her mouth?

Is it possible this is more of a 'goose honk' dry cough than a retch? Like in this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsStzgNq3Zk

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
she has eaten, and no to the other 2 questions

And she has not vomited once?

Any abdominal bloating or panting?

Please ignore any phone call requests as the website sends these automaticallly.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It could be a dry cough we’re not sure
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No she has not vomited and no bloating but she seems to be swallowing a lot

I completely understand your uncertainty, it can actually be really hard to tell the difference. In fact, some dogs with a dry cough can retch and even vomit, complicating things further.

The fact she has been able to eat is really reassuring as this makes a foreign body/blockage much less likely.

It also means she isn't likely to be nauseous, which makes me wonder if this is a dry cough.

For example, young dogs are prone to Kennel Cough which can cause throat inflammation, and a harsh, dry cough. They should otherwise remain well. This is a viral infection and should clear by itself in about a week. She may be infectious to other dogs so we would want to keep her away from them just in case. (1 of 2)

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
What does 1 of 2 mean?

Other possible causes would be laryngitis, a small foreign body (such as a ticklish grass seed) which is not causing an obstruction, tracheal collapse, lungworm etc

I would ensure her breathing is calm and settled and less than 30 breaths a minute.

I would also double check she is up to date with her lungworm prevention.

You can offer a tsp of honey 3 times daily to ease any irritation.

If she remains well and is happy to exercise, eat and be social then I would be happy to monitor her.

However, if she seems unwell or you are concerned, a vet visit would not be the wrong thing to do at all. (2 of 2)

Oh, just that it's the first part of a 2 part message!

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
We have another golden retriever who is 6 years old next month, should that concern us?

Most dogs that age would be immune to the more common upper respiratory infections so, while I would keep an eye, it is less likely they would become infected.

It's typically hard to effectively separate them and it would be for several weeks so I wouldn't normally recommend it.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** recommending we keep her isolated and for how long?

I wouldn't recommend isolating her from the other dog but if you mean from others when out and about, we should keep her away until she is no longer coughing.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok thank you for everything