Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
9138059

My small dog has been castrated today and he is in pain

My small dog has been castrated today and he is in pain tonight and crying. The vet has given me metacam to give him tomorrow morning ie Friday can I give him half a dose tonight to take the pain away?
JA: The Vet will know if the dog can take that. Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: In the area where he has been operated on. I would have thought they would have given him enough pain killer to last the night but he is suffering. Can I give him some metacam?
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 2years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Tommy?
Customer: No I don’t think so

Welcome to Just Answer,

I'm sorry to hear about your boy Tommy. My name is***** and I am here to assist you. Please give me a few minutes to consider your pet’s case and respond.

I will get back to you very soon! In the meantime, let me know if you have any other important points here?

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Unfortunately it's quite routine to give a metacam injection directly after this surgery, so Tommy will more than likely already have Metacam onboard. As such, no - we have to wait until Friday morning before he can have his oral dose. If Tommy is particularly sore, he is going to need a morphine based pain relief from a local ER or after hours vet. Hopefully he settles in the next hour or so, but if not, you are definitely best to get him to an ER vet if you can.

For now and overnight until you can give him the oral metacam, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify?

Many thanks,

Dr E

Have I answered your question to your satisfaction? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Thank you for using our site.