MichaelD1217
MichaelD1217, Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
111024629

My dog is currently on a farm being looked after by my

Customer Question

My dog is currently on a farm being looked after by my friend. The last time she went she lost hair from her rear end, it’s happening again she reports, is this an allergy please, or stress?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is her skin bumpy or itchy as well?
Customer: No. she’s not scratching at all.
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** border collie, and she’s 6 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Floss?
Customer: No not really, she’s usually fit and active. But we’ve just moved house, and it’s the longest time she’s been away. She’s eating and drinking well , and running with the other farm dogs.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  MichaelD1217 replied 1 month ago.

Good evening...I am Michael one of the vets and hope I can help

This sounds like such a worrying situation for you both. Is this only associated with her time at this farm? It doesn't happen anywhere else?

I see she is not scratching, is she biting at her self at all? Where exactly is the hair loss - is it on her flanks or around her bum? Has Floss been treated for lice/mites/fleas at all recently?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it’s only around her bottom, the last time she was on the farm, she was exactly the same. Not sure if it was an allergy or stress with being away from us. She’s treated regularly for mites etc, and worms. Thank you!

Good evening, I do apologise for the delay in getting back to you.

This may well be a stress induced hair loss, although in my experience not overly common. It would be valuable to have Floss examined by your vet and run some routine bloods to exclude any major underlying issues. Cushing's for example can cause thinning of hair but not sure how it would fit with the timing in this instance. I am afraid its very difficult to offer you any more specific information without examining Floss.