MichaelD1217
MichaelD1217, Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
111024629

My dog is guarding me from my partner, he is becoming very

Customer Question

My dog is guarding me from my partner, he is becoming very aggressive when my partner approaches me
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this aggression? Does it happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: my dog is 6 months, this only started 3 weeks ago
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the dog with his aggression?
Customer: I’ve tried to stand up between him and my partner to get him to back off but it’s not working. He loves my partner really.
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Paddy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: he is due to be castrated next month
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there anyone going to help?
Expert:  MichaelD1217 replied 1 month ago.
Hello. I hope you are well. I am michael and hope to be able to help you today
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sadly this is not an uncommon issue. What breed of dog do you have?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you talk on this? I am working from home at the moment
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It’s a Jackapoo
Unfortunately I am unable to call but can certainly continue talking via type
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That’s fine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
File attached (M67S174)
Ok... so there is ***** ***** in the cross and I am sure you are aware terriers can be possessive and can be aggressive. I think from what you have mentioned already we are probably showing signs associated with puberty and your plan to have him castrated may well help resolve this issue.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what do I do in the mean time? He lunges at my partner very aggressively
Behavioral traits can be difficult to totally eliminate and I would advise seeking professional help from a qualified and appropriately registered canine behavioral specialist.In the interim period it is important to limit situations where these behavioural are exhibited. I appreciate this is very difficult however, everyone’s safety is absolutely paramount
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I should just ignore it. It’s difficult to get a behavioural specialist in as we are in full lockdown and not allowed in people’s houses
I wouldn’t ignore it but be conscious of it and avoid putting the dog and your partner in situations where this aggressive behaviour is exhibited. E.g if this arises when the dog is on your partners lap and you approach for instance avoid these situations as we do not want to reinforce the behaviour. I totally appreciate these are extremely difficult times and canine bahvioural problems are extremely challenging I had a dog of my own that behaved similarly and castration only reduced the behaviour we adapted to avoid situations that provoked such reactions
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you.
I hope you get your issue resolved and that castration is helpful but please discuss this with your vet on admission for surgery and they may be able to give you some additional advice tailor to your location and precise situation as they know you and your dog better.I hope you have a great day and if you have any other questions please do let me know.