Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My boxer is 10 years old and has water diarrhea all the time

Customer Question

hi, my boxer is 10 years old and has water diarrhea all the time getting thinner still eating his food and drinking lots but due to corona i have no money not even for bills and ive just had major surgery and am finding it hard to deal with, any suggestions on whats the best thing to do?'
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did the diarrhea start? Could the Boxer have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: no he hasnt eaten anything unusual hes looking older now the diarrhea has been getting steadily worse over the last 2 weeks
JA: What's the Boxer's name?
Customer: doc
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no i dont think so
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate how difficult a situation you are in.
Unfortunately, there is a concern here that he has a serious medical issue, especially given his age and breed.
We would consider intestinal cancer, kidney disease, diabetes etc.
He does need to be seen and to have some tests run so we know what we're dealing with and what the best treatment would be. Your vet will talk you through any estimates and may be able to offer a payment plan or payment via credit.
At home we are limited and I would simply advise ensuring he is up to date with a good quality wormer such as Panacur and he is getting a balanced, complete adult food. We can also start a probiotic anti diarrhoea paste such as protexin prokolin, which may help.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
ok so i will need to talk to a local vet?
this is the only way we can determine why he had these signs and what can be done.
Hopefully we can get to the bottom of things soon.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
ok thank you
Not at all. Please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have. Wishing Doc all the best.