Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

She has very sore scabs and redness around her wee area, She

Hi she has very sore scabs and redness around her wee area
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Where does the dog seem to hurt? How long has this been going on?
Customer: She is a cocker spaniel and does suffer with this. She keeps licking the area.she has had this for about 3 weeks.
JA: When did the dog last see a vet? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: I have a brain tumour now. And find it hard to remember. I would guess 12 months last seen a vet.
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Lola Hughes
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Also her ears I think she might have an infection because they are very smelly am using ear cleaners to help.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and understand you must be concerned.
This may be caused by a few things including a urine infection, incontinence, atopic dermatitis or impacted anal glands.
A vet visit is best to analyse her urine and examine the skin, which may need to be swabbed. The vet should also rule out impacted anal glands and vulval discharge.
She will likely benefit from some anti itch medicine and perhaps some antibiotics.
At home, stop licking bult by a buster collar.
We can bathe the area in a mild shampoo to minimise inflammation.
Do also ensure she is up to date with a good quality parasite prevention.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I do have Lola on lint bells yuderm anti itch, she has been on it for several months and also have her on anal glands. I have just had an intolerance test done for her an there is a lot. 1 being duck and I had her on it for a while. Do you think this could be the problem. I’ve took straight off it. She now has fish.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Anal gland chews. Boot the scoot.
Thank you for this additional information.
I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that's OK.
When it comes to food allergies, dogs can be sensitive to many ingredients and they may not all always show up on tests. It can be a really good idea to trial a hypoallergenic, hydrolysed diet such as Hills z/d or Royal Canin Anallergenic for 6 weeks (being sure not to give any other food, treats or chews).
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have some Argent colloidal. Can I use that on her sore bits?
It isn't something I typically recommend and isn't often used for dogs.
I prefer to use Chlorhexidine which can be diluted 1:10 with water. We apply it for 5 minutes with cotton wool and then rinse.
It helps reduces any local bacteria and yeast.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Yeah she has had that before. I’ve ran out of it.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Would I be able to pick a prescription up for some
It is something you can get from most chemists without prescription.
I wouldn't personally recommend argent colloidal.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok I won’t use it. Thank you for your time.
Not at all, very happy to help.