Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

My Maltese /shitzu has very bad breath and serious build up

Customer Question

My Maltese /shitzu has very bad breath and serious build up of plaque, I think she has pain, I've had her at vet but I can't afford the price they've quoted, I'm on employment support allowance and wondered if you could help me get her teeth descaled., I'm prepared to pay so much towards it but can't afford the 4-6 hundred pounds the vets asking, thank you
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the Shih Tzu had bad breath? Are her gums red or inflamed?
Customer: Over 2 years, she keeps putting her tongue in and out as if her mouth is uncomfortable, I can't see her back teeth but vet says they're very bad and probably needs extractions, she is 9 years old and I have bought various dental aids and sprays but her mouth is so small I can't get near her back teeth,
JA: Besides the bad breath, does the Shih Tzu seem like her normal self?
Customer: She varies, lays down a lot and sometimes she jumps away from her chew when eating it, as if it hurts her, but most of the time she is alert
JA: What's the Shih Tzu's name?
Customer: Daisy Thomson, she has a yeast infection in her ear which is clearing up a bit as I paid £64 for drops from the vet last week
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No that's all
Category: Dog
Expert:  Teodora B replied 18 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 18 days ago.

Please note that we are an onlide advice-only service and we can't do any fizical appointments or surgeries.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 18 days ago.

I can confirm dental work would need doing if you see obvious plaque.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 18 days ago.

You can either call your local vet and check if they don't offer any instalments, try to reach PDSA (by phone) and see If you qualify - I know they see just Emergencies for now, or try to find the financial support from family/friends/websites like "Go Fund Me"

Expert:  Teodora B replied 18 days ago.

Is there anything else I could assist you with?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I will try phoning PDSA, thanks for your reply, can you assure me that the payment of £5 is a one off payment,
Expert:  Teodora B replied 18 days ago.
I’m not sure about that unfortunately you’d have to contact customer care to clarify this aspect. There are many types of accounts and me, as a vet, I don’t have access to them.
Expert:  Teodora B replied 18 days ago.
Here is the quick link
Expert:  Teodora B replied 18 days ago.
https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us
Expert:  Teodora B replied 18 days ago.
You can contact them via phone or via chat