Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Oscar will only eat fresh chicken and flatly refuses to eat

Oscar will only eat fresh chicken and flatly refuses to eat anything else. I am at my wits end trying to get him to eat. I have withheld the chicken for 2 days to know avail. He is 7 months old. Help !!!!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the dog also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: yes he does sleep a lot But then he’s always been a good sleepwr
JA: Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: Know none at all
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: oscar
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: i don’t think so He’s a cockapoo
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Still waiting for consultation
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’ve paid my £5. What’s happening?
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
Can I confirm he is otherwise in good health; no vomiting, diarrhoea or weight loss?
What other food are you offering?
Has he ever eaten dog food?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
In good health. When he was tiny when we first had him he ate puppy kibble. Then wouldn’t eat it any more. We have tried many dog foods in pouches and first off he would eat one occasionally but now refuses them all
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Cooking chicken is not a problem but I am so worried he is not getting the nutrition he needs
Absolutely, he won't be.
Chicken alone is lacking in micronutrients (minerals and vitamins) as well as e.g. carbohydrates for energy, essential fatty acids and fibre.
I am just typing my full reply now.
It is very common for smaller breeds to become very fussy at about 5 or 6 months of age when their growth spurts stop and they need far less calories.When we offer treats, chews and chicken they get their calories from this and realise declining their "boring" food is beneficial.This is a time where we really have to be cruel to be kind. It seems very unnatural to allow them to go a few days without eating but, ultimately, this is 100% what he needs.Letting him eat only chicken will lead to nutritional deficiencies and possibly dental disease.It is simply a case of not having chicken available. Put his dog food down for 10 minutes 3 times a day. If he declines it, do not offer an alternative. Ensure he gets no dental sticks, chews, treats etc as they will fill him up.Initially, this can take 3 or 4 days but persevere. It will be well worth it when he is eating his kibble. I would hold off on chicken for several months until we can be happy he won't go on "kibble strike" again.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you so much. We will follow your advice to the letter. I was so worried about starving him but now you have reassured me I will go ahead. Thank you again
Absolutely, many owners have the same concerns but I promise he will eat once hungry enough!
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you so much for your reassurance Dr Simmon. You have certainly quelled my worry about starving him. So here we go on day 1. 9.30 am not touched kibble so picked it up and will put in down lunchtime. Just taking Oscar for walk now. In spite of not eating he seems full of energy. Thank you so much for your advice
Carol Gregory
Good luck and it will be worth it in the end!

Hi there, how is it going with Oscar?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi. We have followed your advice and offered only kibble 3 times per day. He is eating it in small quantities and U am ever hopeful this will gradually improve. He is constantly looking for treats and chicken but we have held firm and not given in. It’s heartbreaking but we know we must persevere. Thank you so much for your help
That's a great update, well done to both you and Oscar. I know from personal experience it really isn't easy.As he is 7 months, we can try reduce meals to twice a day and you may find this speeds up the process.