Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I’m registered with Lolo my 14yr old dog at your bolton

Customer Question

Hi I’m registered with Lolo my 14yr old dog at your bolton branch
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: he has a blister type small abscess just above his anus which has burst this morning, I’ve bathed it but it is swelling and is blue in colour which tells me it’s filling with blood
JA: Has the dog been licking or rubbing the affected skin?
Customer: I don’t think he can get round that far, I’ve not noticed him doing it he is not fat
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Lolo
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: he has another swelling on his inside right hind leg which he keeps licking but as her has loads of other lump n bumps was not concerned about that one it’s this blister shaped lump on his bum I’m worried about as it’s still weeping blood
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hope you got the photo I just sent,as you can see it’s still bleeding
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’m waiting for you to reply
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How do I treat this blister bleed, or do I go to the vets
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 15 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.To clarify, this is an online advice service and not a vet clinic. Do you wish to proceed?I am happy to provide advice via typing.

Without further information it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice but I shall certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

I suspect he has an anal gland impaction which has become infected, formed an abscess and ruptured.

These can bleed but aren't an emergency, however, the sooner he is seen the better.

He needs the fluid to be expressed by a vet and will need pain relief, anti inflammatories and antibiotics. In some cases, dogs are sedated to treat the abscess.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions,

Take care,

Linda.

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.

Hi there, this is just Dr Linda checking in. How is everything going?