Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Umbilical hernia getting larger, she is a one year old

Customer Question

Umbilical hernia getting larger
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you spoken to a vet about the hernia yet? How long has this been going on with the dog?
Customer: she is a one year old shitzhu and has had it from birth but it is getting bigger
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: amelie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No. I am registered with u for daisy who u cared for but she has sadly died
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 11 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.To clarify, this is an online advice service and not a vet clinic.Umbilical hernias tend to contain fat. They should be soft and squishy and not painful. They may get a little bigger with time and this isn't necessarily a concern as long as they aren't too big.Could you send a clear photo?Has Amelie been otherwise well?

Without further information it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice but I shall certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

If a hernia gets suddenly bigger or harder or there is e.g. redness/tenderness or the dog is unwell then this is a true emergency. This is because there may be intestine within the hernia. An immediate vet visit is needed as the gut can become strangulated.

However, a small increase in size, especially if the dog is well and the lump is soft and reducible (can be popped back in) is less of a concern.

Please feel free to send me a photo to assess further.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions,

Take care,

Linda.

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 10 days ago.

Hi there, this is just Dr Linda checking in. How is everything going?