Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Advice about my dogs meibomeam gland overgrowth

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I am sorry to hear that Poppy has a growth on her eyelid that is thought to be a meibomian gland tumor.

How can I help?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thankyou for replying. Yes she’s had it for a few years but it’s starting to irritate her eye now. It scratched her cornea which gave her an ulcer, we had eye drops from our vet and that is fine now, however she’s still holding her eye shut sometimes, so think it’s still scratching her.. we have decided against surgically removing it.. so is there any other way that it can be managed at home? Eye drops to keep the eye lubricated so the lump isn’t as rough? I’m not sure. There’s no infection and she’s fine otherwise
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 15 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** information is helpful. Is there a reason that you have opted out of surgery for her?

I am typing a response now, but I am curious why you have decided against surgery.

If you cannot see my response here in several minutes please check your email, including spam/junk folders, for an email with a link to my response.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
We have opted out of surgery due to some health conditions she has and she’s 15, we not want to take the risk considering she is so happy. We would rather just let her enjoy the rest of her life
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 15 days ago.

Meibomian gland tumors are a benign growth of the oily producing tear glands located along the eyelid. These growths are considered benign because they don't spread deep into tissues or spread to distant areas like the lungs or lymph nodes, but they can get quite large and interfere with eyesight, rub on the eye causing the eye to tear more, and make the dog uncomfortable. They tend to be brown or black in color and can hang from the eyelid as they get bigger, rubbing the eye. If they rub on the eye and cause an ulcer surgery is highly recommended.

Sometimes we can lance and drain them like a cyst but this rarely works, and if we need to sedate her to lance it then at that point surgery is a much better option. I do recommend removing them before they take up a big portion of the eyelid and become uncomfortable. It is usually a short surgery requiring just a few stitches, and the dogs feel much better once the growth is gone.

If you have decided surgery is not an option then you can warm compress the area twice daily, keep it clean, and apply an artificial tear ointment on the growth and her eye to protect her eye, keep the growth soft, and keep her more comfortable. You can purchase these ointments over the counter at the drug store, as dogs use the same products that people use. Here are some examples:

1) https://www.riteaid.com/shop/systane-lubricant-eye-ointment-overnight-relief-tube-0-125-oz-3-5-g-0343370?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI64S-haqk8AIV12pvBB1A-AWIEAQYBCABEgJdBvD_BwE

2) https://www.riteaid.com/shop/genteal-pm-lubricant-eye-ointment-severe-dry-eye-relief-0-125-oz-3-5-g-0306434?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI64S-haqk8AIV12pvBB1A-AWIEAQYBiABEgI5OPD_BwE

It has been my pleasure to help you today. You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thankyou for your help.. I will look into these products and hopefully they help. Do you know how long the surgical removal usually takes?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 15 days ago.

Depending upon the size, the surgery itself and a few quick stitches usually take me no more than 15 minutes.

Of course we need to add on time for her to go under anesthetic and wake up, but the procedure itself is a quick one.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok Thankyou for your advice.. are these products definitely ok?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 15 days ago.

Yes, both are very safe and nonirritating.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thankyou!!
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 15 days ago.

Of course! Let me know how she fares.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am in the U.K., are these products available here? Or just US?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 15 days ago.

Artificial tear products in drop and ointment form are available in the UK too. You should not need a prescription for them. If in doubt which product to choose ask the pharmacist (chemist in the UK?) for advice. You want a pure lubricant artificial tear product that is in an ointment form rather than the drops to give better lubrication/cushion.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok.. I’ve looked online and can find the same brands but they are over £60!!
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 14 days ago.

Oh my! They should not be that pricey. Perhaps the products you are looking at online are imported from the USA. No need for that. Take the list of ingredients in the two products I sent you to your chemist and ask if there is an equivalent product available over the counter. I cannot believe people with poor tear production are paying that much in the UK!

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I’ve found one that was a lot cheaper and ordered it!
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 14 days ago.

Great!