Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog had an x ray to check her hip. But she is not

Customer Question

Hello my dog had an x ray to check her hip. But she is not laid straight in the xray , will they xray again for free?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Its not a concern uts for her hip scores ?
JA: Is she taking any medications?
Customer: No
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: M
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Dont think so
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 12 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this happened and appreciate your frustration.
If the xrays aren't diagnosis they will need to be re done.
Whether or not they are charged for again would be at the discretion of the vet but it would usually be expected for them to at least offer a reduction.Whether or not they offer a full refund would depend on e.g. if the xrays are usable, if an anaesthetic was declined and the sedation wasn't strong enough etc.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.

Hi can you please look at the picture and tell me you opinion

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 11 days ago.

If you send the x-ray I can discuss positioning but cannot make a diagnosis, or comment on the extent of hip dysplasia, as this is a separate service.

What exactly has happened; your vet took x-rays which were not accepted for hip scoring?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

Can you see the xray

Unfortunately not, it is just a blank message.

You can send it to***@******.*** if this is easier.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

Thankyou iv sent it though email

Thank you, ***** ***** just received it and am now typing my reply

Working in a general practice (where we take x-rays to assess for arthritis, fractures, dislocations, signs of hip dysplasia etc), to me, this is x-ray is useful and I would be happy with it personally.

However, for specific hip score assessment, they can be extremely specific with the positioning that they need, so it is possible they may have issue with the slight rotation. If this is the case and they have requested the x-rays be taken again, we have little option but to do so.

I hope this answers your question.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

Hi iv not sent it for scoring, the breeder i bought my dog from said that the xray my dog was not straight iv now spoken to the vets (as could not when i picked her up then had work ) has told me they couldnt get ut any straighter as her left hip is showing displacement, would this be your conclusion as well

I agree it is not exactly straight but that this would be typical of the xrays we get, especially in heavily muscled dogs. I would personally be happy with this xray.From this xray, both hips are showing signs of dysplasia. This can absolutely make positioning harder.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 8 days ago.

Hello, this is just Dr Linda checking in to ensure you received my reply and did not have any further questions?