Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 36kg Wire haired 10 year old vizsla is shaking .....has

Customer Question

Hi there My 36kg Wire haired 10 year old vizsla is shaking .....has been sick 6 times throughout the last 8 hours and has diarrhoea too.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. In addition to the shaking, have you noticed any coughing, limping, or drooling?
Customer: I have metacam here and synulox amd want to give her relief as can't get her to a vet until Sunday.
JA: What's the Vizsla's name and age?
Customer: Bibi 10
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Shes on Apoquel for skin conditions
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 15 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.

Please DO NOT give Metacam as this is contra-indicated in a dog with either vomiting or diarrhoea.

I would also NOT give Synulox as we have no evidence of an infection right now.

Is Bibi lethargic? Are her gums pink and wet? Any abdominal bloating, retching or coughing?

Without further information it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice but I shall certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

My concern is that such a lot of vomiting in this breed could potentially be linked to bloat / gastric dilation volvulus. This is especially true if he is bloated, panting or restless.

Other considerations would include:

Pancreatitis

Toxin ingestion

A gastric or intestinal obstruction

Severe gastroenteritis

Infection (e.g. Leptospirosis)

Etc

A vet visit is best so she can be examined. They may also run some tests such as a blood test and abdominal scan.

Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include an anti nausea injection, fluids and ant acids.

Please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have,

Take care,

Linda.

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.

I do hope this is all ok and please let me know if there is anything else.