Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

She has a growth on her gum and its got bigger and she's off

Customer Question

She has a growth on her gum and its got bigger and she's off her food
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the dog's appetite? How is her energy level?
Customer: About 6 weeks ago. She doesn't have a lot of energy refusing to go out for walks
JA: Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: More discomfort
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rosie DOB 12/12 /12
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She's biting her back left leg Her breath is shocking
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear about Rosie's issues.

What breed is she?

Could you please send a photo of her gum growth?

Could you describe her breathing further; is it fast, wheezy or laboured? And when did this begin?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
She's a bichon friche

I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that's ok?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How do I send a pic
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Breathing a little laboured
There should be a paper clip icon to send a photo. If not, you can email me on***@******.***When did her breathing become laboured? Is she breathing faster than 30 times a minute when resting?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have emailed you pic can't see all of it she's to distressed
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. I can appreciate it would be difficult to take a photo right now if she is distressed.The lump itself is not an immediate concern if not near her airways and not infected or bleeding. It may be a benign gum growth called an epulis.Much more concerning is her laboured breathing and lethargy. How fast is she breathing and when did this begin? From the photo, her tongue looks grey/blue rather than bright pink. Is this the case? If so, we would worry she is not getting enough oxygen.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She's breathing 38 times a min
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The growth absolutely smells
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We have tried to get her in but been hard through lockdown I really am concerned and think she needs looking at
A smell would likely indicate an infection so this could be causing some pain and a fever but shouldn't make her breathing laboured and shouldn't really cause distress. It may be two separate issues.Typically when a dog is resting, their breathing rate is about 12-15 times a minute. Anything over 30 is cause for concern and indicates a dog may not be getting enough oxygen.This is a concern.In a Bichon of her age there are many considerations for these signs including heart disease, tracheal collapse, bronchitis, an infection etc.Given all you have said, I would advise an immediate vet visit at your local out of hours clinic.They will assess her and may need to stabilise her with oxygen and some medicine. They will then likely run some tests (such as a blood test or chest xrays) to determine what exactly is going on.Her specific treatment will depend on the underlying issue.The sooner she is seen the better. At home, ensure the room is well ventilated and free of dust and smoke. Minimise stress. Ensure the car is cool when she is being transported to the clinic.I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions,This window stays open for several days so you can keep me updated,Linda.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Could you please advise me it's my dad's dog he's a pensioner where can we take her to where it's not expensive iam worried but don't have money
What is your postcode?Unfortunately as most charity clinics are closed at this time, you may be limited.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
M40 5rn
Thank you.Armac Vets would appear to be your closest and can be reached on0161(###) ###-####
Let them know your financial concerns so they can discuss the estimate and advise if they offer payment plans or credit options. They would also be the best to ask about the closest charity options.I hope this helps.

Hi there, how is Rosie doing this morning?