Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

He ate some poly gel nail things straight out of the tube, I

Customer Question

he ate some poly gel nail things straight out of the tube
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I have no idea how he got it and i am extremely worried
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Rueger and about 2 years dont old*
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 6 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear this has happened.

What breed is Rueger?

When did this happen?

How much did he eat roughly?

What exactly is the product called?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He is a pit boxer mix but we are not positive because he is a rescue.
My boyfriend just got home and found it, I am not sure when it happened.
A tube is .48 ounces, I have used it a bit and there is still half a tube in there is what my boyfriend told me so I dont think he got a huge amount
It is called Gershion Poly gel

Thank you for this information.

I am just looking into that product and will get right back to you.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have been trying to look up the warning label and I can not find it.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is there anything else I can tell you that can help?
I don't mean to sound crazy I just get really freaked out when he eats stuff

Unfortunately this is quite a specific product and, as has happened to you, I cannot find any specific warnings.

Presumably, no studies have been conducted on what would happen if the gel was ingested by a dog.

In my 8 years of experience I have not encountered a dog eating nail gel before (though I have encountered a couple who have eaten gel nails after they have been applied!).

The tricky thing here is that we do not know how much he has eaten and when.

The concern is that the product could be toxic and could also cause issues when passing through the digestive tract e.g. adhesions or blockages.

Given the unusual circumstance, I would advise calling an out of hours vet as they will have access to the veterinary toxins helpline. This is a service whereby they should have information about all of the ingredients within the product and will be able to best direct you.

It may be a case of monitoring for signs and feeding a bland diet for 24 hours, or they may advise you come in and induce vomiting (make him sick).

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
what does "out of hours vet" mean?

As it is past normal opening hours, only emergency vets will be open now. His regular vet may offer this service, or may use another local vet to see patients at night time.

With ingestion of products like this, we would expect to see signs in the first 48 hours and these could include:

• Drooling

• Restlessness

• Vomiting

• Diarrhoea

• Constipation

• Abdominal bloating 

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
If I dont see those signs should he be okay? I am still going to call the vert I just want to get as much info as possible

The tricky thing is that we don't know when he ate the product. So, it may be that he ate it very recently and signs haven't shown up yet. As I say, it can take a couple of days for signs to show in some cases.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My question was. If i dont see symptoms in the next 24-48 hours he should be okay correct?

Yes, if he remains well for 48 hours it would be unlikely the product will make him unwell after this.

However, we do need to remain vigilant as there is no data available, so it makes sense to keep on the lookout.

I appreciate you want to make sure he will be ok, but I can't say this for sure as we just don't know enough right now.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
okay thank you

Not at all.

This window remains open so you can check in and ask any further questions you may have.

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 4 days ago.

Hi there, how is Rueger getting on?