Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I've just got a puppy and he's pooing blood I have a pic of

Customer Question

Hi I've just got a puppy and he's pooing blood I have a pic of it its a runny poo nd has like a peach colour to it with blood that is bright red my vets aren't open till Tuesday am scared for my boy
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Has the puppy seemed more or less thirsty since this started?
Customer: He has had a little more water than normal but not a big amount over the day it started yesterday and it's after his morning poo because he has normal poos then he has one that has blood in
JA: Did the puppy eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: Nothing unusual he managed to steal one slice of ham and one little bit of beef fat 🤦‍♀️
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Milo
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Nothing else he's is still happy in himself he doesn't seem to be straining harder or anything when pooing he's not had his 1st of 2nd injections yet think that's all the vet needs to know if there anything else please just ask
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 15 days ago.

Hello, you're through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

Hopefully I can help today.

What age is Milo?

What has he been eating?

Has he been dewormed yet?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Milo is 8 weeks today he has been wormed and fleas but hasn't had his injections yet he had managed to pinch some beef just a very small amount and stole some ham but that all he has had to eat thats not puppy food and thank u so much for ur help love

Which wormer was given and when (this is important as not all treat all types of parasite)?

Is he happy, active and eating?

Finally, are his gums pink and wet?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Not sure as it was the breeder that wormed and flea d him I have messaged her to ask her what one and yeah he's happy playing eating running round he's happy and eating as normal and his gums are abit dry and more of a dark pink

If the gums are truly dry, this is a concern as it indicates dehydration.

Are they more dry than ours?

They should be wet and glistening.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Just got partner to check if his gums are wet and he said they are wet just a little dark pink..he is sleeping at the moment the poo he's had he's only had 2 like that one yesterday and one today but irs always the last poo he has as he had about 2-3,poos noraml ones then had that blood in the last one
Thank you for this additional information.
I am just typing my full reply now which will take a few minutes.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Oki doki
It is important we keep checking Milo's gums. They must remain wet as dry gums would mean a vet trip is needed as he may need some additional fluids (perhaps in the form of an IV drip).We also need to ensure the gums do not necome very pale/white as this can indicate anaemia.A small amount of blood (some fleck / drop, less than a teaspoon) is not uncommon at this age and can have have causes including stress, a diet change, parasites or an infection.I would want to know the wormer given was broad acting (such as Panacur) rather than just a tapewormer.I would start a probiotic anti diarrhoea paste such as protexin prokolin which can be purchased online or from a pet shop.I would feed bland meals of chicken and rice and stop any dog food or treats for then next few days.The stool should improve daily and he should remain well. If not, he would need to see a vet and may require e.g. antibiotics. At this age, it is important we monitor very closely as pups can go downhill fast.This window stays open for several days so you can keep me updated. Fingers crossed he improves very soon indeed.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
OK I will keep my eyes on his gums and make sure and the wormer tablet she gave him was drontalx ..I will also keep an eye for anymore blood in his poo ill put him on rice and chicken and let u know his progress over the next few days thank u so much for all ur help with are pup and will get some prebiotic for him from the pet shop again thanks so much for your time dr simmon
Drontal is not the broadest acting wormer. This is fine is she also had a spot on which treats for parasites (such as Advocate) but she may well need a stronger wormer going forward.Happy to help and wishing him the best!
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for all ur help milo is lots better today he has been eating jumping round playing and his ears belly and gums are pink! And has no runny poos anymore thanks so much to u all for all ur help and a big thank u to Dr Simmon ❤
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Ah great news! Thank you for this lovely update.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank u all for ur great advice in my time of need when no one else would help I really appreciate what u guys do u are super heros without the super powers although I think your powers are much better saving are pets! Well done for everything u guys do and continue to do ❤ from me and all pets
Ah bless you, more than happy to be able to help.