Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My has developed a hacking cough ,which seems to be getting

Customer Question

My ***** ***** has developed a hacking cough ,which seems to be getting worse and throws up phlegm I think it is kennel cough what can I do please
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: ***** ***** 10 years old
JA: Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: Fo***** *****quid no food on it
JA: Could the ***** ***** Terrier have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: No but had been in contact with dog that had kennel cough
JA: What's the ***** ***** Terrier's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Think her injections have lapsed
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
When will someone answer please ,
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
28054977-223 been over a hour now and your estimated time keeps saying 8 minutes please answer
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I do apologise for the delay; I have just come online now and hope to be able to help.When did this cough start?
What colour is the phlegm?
Is she still bright and active and eating?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Not eating much phlegm is foamy and clear just liquid, she is not overly active
I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that's OK.When did the cough start?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
3 days ago ,
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Why have you taken more money from my account am calling bank please cancel trial this is a scam

Are you referring to the money taken for the call? This is because you requested a call but this will be refunded in full as no call was made.

Kennel cough is a viral infection that causes a hacking cough but dogs should typically remain well.

The vast majority of affected dogs are young as older dogs tend to have acquired immunity. We would not expect any lethargy or other signs such as a decreased appetite.

The concern is that, while this may have started as a viral infection such as Kennel cough, she mau have developed a secondary bacterial infection.

Another worry is that, given her age, there may be more going on here such as:  

• Tracheal collapse

• Bronchitis

• Heart disease

• Pneumonia

• Etc

I would advise a vet check because of the phlegm, her reduced energy levels and her age.

The vet will listen to her heart and lungs and check for e.g. a fever. She may require medicine such as antibiotics and anti inflammatories. If concerned, the vet may suggest some tests such as a chest xray.

At home, ensure the air is well ventilated and free of dust and smoke. Allow her to rest and use a body harness rather than neck collar.

Offer warm and tempting food and give a teaspoon of honey a few times a day. Ensure she stays well hydrated by offering plenty of water. Do also ensure she is up to date with her lungworm prevention.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

This window stays open for several days so you can keep me updated.

Take care, Linda.

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 11 days ago.

I do hope this is all ok and please let me know if there is anything else.

Stay safe!