Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I’ve just been told my 14 year old Shitzu has pyametra of

Customer Question

Hello I’ve just been told my 14 year old Shitzu has pyametra of the uterus. She’s had a scan and blood tests and her kidneys are okay she had high white cell count. I’m not sure what to do with regards surgery?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How long has the Shih-Tzu been dealing with this?
Customer: just this past 4 or so days only noticed the blood and discharge today
JA: Is she taking any medications?
Customer: none at the moment
JA: What's the Shih-Tzu's name?
Customer: lola
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: not sure she is blind and had a hearing problem other than that she seems okay...
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The option is putting her down this afternoon and I’m finding it hard to make that decision
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 15 days ago.

Hello, you're through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

Hopefully I can help today.

I'm so sorry to hear this and understand your concern at this difficult situation.

The surgery, while expensive, tends to be successful and, though she is an older girl, we would hope she would pull through and do well.

I would only consider euthanasia if the surgery is completely unaffordable or her quality of life at the moment is poor.

This survey can help you assess her quality of life:

https://journeyspet.com/pet-quality-of-life-scale-calculator/

If we decide the surgery is not for her, euthanasia is the right decision as otherwise she would likely pass away from the infection and it would not be a nice way to go. Euthanasia offers a kind and peaceful way of passing, to minimise suffering.

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 12 days ago.

I do hope this is all ok and please let me know if there is anything else.