DakotaSouthFive
DakotaSouthFive, Emergency Pet first aid
Experience:  service dog trainer,Member of the State Animal Response team~ 27 yrs animal behavior, Therapy Dog Evaluator, AKC Evaluator, trainer
3570977

Our nearly 2 year old staff keeps nipping my husband when he

Customer Question

Our nearly 2 year old staff keeps nipping my husband when he is doing something outside like gardening and cleaning the car we have a 4 year old staff too don't do it.but the 2 year old only does it to my husband
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Staffordshire bull terrier
JA: When did you first notice this nipping?
Customer: About year ago He was first doing it in the house but we used some pebbles in a bottle shook it and he stopped
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the Staffordshire Bull Terrier with his nipping?
Customer: Just the bottle in the house before
JA: What's the Staffordshire Bull Terrier's name?
Customer: Radley
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No He is very good otherwise very very loving
Category: Dog
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 16 days ago.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I wait
Expert:  DakotaSouthFive replied 14 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

I am reviewing your question now.

Objects such as a can of pebbles rarely works long term because people don't go around carrying a can of pebbles with them so the behavior is never reinforced.

It would be hard to say why the dog does this but what should be done is the dog is taught a leave it command to 100% firm. This means practicing with a variety of objects so the dog learns leave it means to leave everything it has it's mind on and await the next command,

Having your husband train the dog will help as well. All adults in the home should be involved in training.

Always start your training in non distracting areas and gradually move to more distracting areas slowly. If at any point you move to a more distracting area and the dog acts out, then you have to go back to the last spot he was listening and train longer there, before moving forward.

Also, always remember as you start moving to more distracting areas, you need to up the ante of reward . So , for non distracting areas you can use soft dog treats broken up to smaller pieces , but when it is more distracting you need to up that reward to chicken or hot dog slivers.

If you have never used a clicker , you have to load it first before you start training. This just means you do 10 to 15 repetitions of clicking and treating so she knows that after the click sound, she is rewarded. The click sound, as you train, is actually a marker that she has done the right thing. The clicker costs about 2 dollars in a pet store.

Zac George -loading the clicker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPDOrEEsAJ8

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

For more videos of clicker training other commands go to google search and type in “clicker training videos”

use a variety of items for training leave it so the dog knows it pertains to everything in its sight. Include using a remote control car for moving items

clicker leave it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNAOe1djDyc

clicker maintaining focus http://www.clickertraining.com/files/auto-eye-contact.pdf