Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My two toy poodle dogs have been coughing and sneezing. I

My two toy poodle dogs have been coughing and sneezing. I believe it started when one of them accidentally drank from a public lake, I've kept them isolated together but it's been a week and I'm not sure what to do.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the poodle's name and age?
Customer: the first is named fluffy and he's over a year old, the second is Cookie and she is a couple of months old.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I'm am the son of a family that is aggressive and has strong beliefs in alternate medicine, I need help from professionals because my family won't save my dogs.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.Most viral infections that cause a cough can last up to 2 weeks.
If the dogs are otherwise well (eating, playful, breathing normally) I would not be concerned at this point.Do ensure they are up to date with a lungworm prevention.Keep the air well ventilated and free of dust, smoke and cooking fumes.Offer a teaspoon of honey every 8 hours.Use a body harness rather than neck collar when walking them.If signs persist, a vet visit is best.I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions,Linda