Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I think my 9 year old dog has cataracts. When she looks up

Hello, I think my 9 year old dog has cataracts. When she looks up at me In the light I can see a cloudy whiteness / gray in her eyes. She also has been having a hard time seeing who we are and inches up close to make sure. My question is, is there anything I can do for her that can help it without surgery? Thank you very much.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

Cataracts are relatively uncommon (although do occur), except in those with diabetes.

Much more often we are dealing with nuclear sclerosis, a natural 'blue tinge' that develops in the eye as dogs age.

Could you send a clear photo?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Oh wow okay thank you. Let me try and get a photo of it right now

Great, thank you. There is no rush!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Here’s a close up
Customer: replied 9 days ago.

Ah, what a sweet girl.

Thank you for these photos, I am just typing my reply.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
thank you :)

While it is always hard to tell 100% from a photo, I do not see evidence of a cataract. This would usually be an obvious milky film that blocks all light getting into the eye.

I suspect the haze you see is more likely the nuclear sclerosis I mentioned.

As you feel her vision may be affected however, a vet visit is sensible to examine her eyes and vision.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay that’s really great to hear it’s not cataracts! I will try and call our vet and see what they can do. In the meantime is there anything I can get for her? Eye drops? I really appreciate your help and time

Happy to help!

Until we know what exactly is going on, I would not recommend any treatment.

If it is nuclear sclerosis, this is very common and requires no treatment. It is not thought to affect vision and does not cause discomfort.

If you notice more signs such as an eye discharge, irritation (she may rub or scratch the eyes) or squinting, we would need to reassess.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay thank you so much! I will just bring her in to get looked at just in case. You’ve been a big help - thank you!

Pleasure :)