How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr L Simmon Your Own Question
Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 4679
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr L Simmon is online now

My dog has just killed, but not eaten a rat, which had

This answer was rated:

Hi, my dog has just killed, but not eaten a rat, which had possibly been poisoned. He did have blood on his mouth.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How much of the poison did the dog eat? Has he vomited?
Customer: poison just killed a rat who had eaten poison.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don't think soCustomer: Chat is completed
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Am I being connected to a vet?
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
You are right to be concerned as rat bait can be toxic to both dogs and rats.
Dogs do need to consume the poison, which would mean ingesting the rat and its stomach/intestinal contents.
If the rat is whole, the risk is minimal (unless there is a chance the dog also had access to the bait.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He hasn't had any access to the bait and the rat is whole.

Ok, good.

In that case, there is no real risk of rat bait toxicity.

However, rats can carry diseases such as leptospirosis and they can also bite dogs when they are being attacked; these bites can be painful and can cause abscesses.

If your dog seems well, I would  wash off any blood and examine for wounds. If all is ok, we can monitor from home.

Dr L Simmon and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you