Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

He is 13. He has not eaten for 2 days, doesn't want to go

He is 13. He has not eaten for 2 days, doesn't want to go outside, pants and sometimes sounds like he's going to vomit but doesnt
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jack
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Jack is unwell.

What breed is he?

Any other sings such as lethargy, stiff walking, pale gums, a bloated abdomen or diarrhoea?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He's walked stiffly since he was puppy! But he just doesnt want walk at all at the moment. He is a cross labrador/collie/hottie. He has not had diarrhoea or vomiting.

Do you feel the stiffness has worsened recently?

Are his gums pink and wet to the touch?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
My phone is dead at the moment

I am happy to continue talking via typing; not a problem. Were you able to see my above questions?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Stiffness is worse but has just not got up since this morning . His gums are pink and moist.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I also think he may have eaten a dead bird yesterday as there were so e feathers in the garden

Ok, thank you for this information.

I am just typing my full reply now which will take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He has just this moment got up and is very unsteady

When an older mid-large dog suddenly does not want to move much and is  struggling to stand, it is typically a musculoskeletal issue.

We would consider e.g. hip dysplasia, advanced arthritis or a slipped disc in the back.

This can occur without an injury, especially if things have been worsening in recent times.

Another consideration would be weakness due to dehydration and/or a toxin ingestion that has worsened any pre-existing joint pain and made walking a lot harder.

The panting may be due to discomfort and stress.

Given all you have said, I would want Jack seen by a vet immediately.

This is so we can ensure all of his nerves are working as they should and so we can assess for pain.

He may well need some medicine such as anti-inflammatories and pain relief.

If dehydrated, he may need a fluid drip and an anti nausea injection.

At this age, dogs cope worse with being unwell and often need medical attention to get them through.

Going forward, we may find he needs some medicine to assist in his mobility.

I hope this is all ok and please let me know if there is anything else,

Linda.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks Linda, pity it's a Bank Holiday and the vets are shut.

All vets offer an emergency service (this is required by the vet association).

So if you call your vet, they will direct you where to go today.

If unsure, you are welcome to send me your postcode and I can find your nearest open clinic.

I would not feel comfortable waiting to see a vet tomorrow given all you have said about Jack.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok thanks for the info, I'll do that

Not at all; please do feel free to keep me updated and wishing him all the very best.