Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog rielys is 12 this year.but he's not himself.hes had

Hello,my dog rielys is 12 this year.but he's not himself.hes had the runs and been sick bile . he's sleepi a lot aswel.plus I saw a tiny bit of blood in his poo this morning.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Have you noticed any changes in the dog's appetite?
Customer: He was eating yesterday,but he's not had anything today.when I say do u want dinner he normally wags his tail but he just doesn't seem bothered at all.
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: Not as far as I know,he's fussy at times.i gave him some tuna yesterday and loved it.
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Rielys mcdonagh.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Hes on you move because I've noticed he's been limping.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this.What breed is Riely?
When has he last seen a vet?
Any other symptoms such as weight loss, a bloated abdomen, dry or pale gums or fast breathing?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He a staff.he last went to get in 2019 he had bacteria infection.was put on steroids and antibiotics.hes lost abit of weight but his gums and tummy are both fine.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Went to vet in 2019.
Ok, thank you.
I am just typing my full reply now which will take a few minutes.
At Riely's age, his symptoms are a concern.
Weight loss should be investigated as this isn't normal, even as a dog ages.His symptoms may be caused by soemthing as simple as a gastroenteritis or worms, but we would want to rule out e.g. liver disease or a cancer.A vet will examine him and may run some tests such as a blood test and stool sample.At home, it would be sensible to feed a bland diet of chicken and rice and to stop chews and treats to let his stomach settle.Start a 3 day course of a probiotic anti diarrhoea paste such as protexin prokolin. If he hasn't been wormed in 3 months, go ahead and give a treatment of panacur. Both of these can be purchased online or from a pet shop without prescription.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He's been wormed last week. I give him his youmove on a treat with salmon paste.itd the only way I can get them down him.sorry to sound as though I'm being over protective of him
Not at all, it's important we take this seriously and I echo your concern.
Ideally, we would stop the salmon paste to see of this helps ; perhaps he would eat the Yumove with warm chicken, white fish or scrambled eggs? Bland and digestible food like this can be easier on their gut than oily fish when unwell.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you very much for your advice.
Absolutely.This window stays open for several days so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.

This is just Dr Linda checking in.

I hope you were happy with my reply and please let me know if I can be of any further help.

All the best to you and your pet!

Stay safe,

Linda