Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My dog has just eaten a piece of foil about 6 inches by g3

My dog has just eaten a piece of foil about 6 inches by g3 inches
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much does the dog weigh?
Customer: He is only a small dog like shitsue size
JA: When was this? Has he thrown up since then?
Customer: No he ate it about ten minutes ago
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 7 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Max?
Customer: No

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a veterinarian with more than 25 years of experience. I'm here to help you with your question about Max and the foil. I'm so sorry this is happening and has you worried, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
If you prefer, I can also be available for a phone call. That can be very helpful especially if your question is complex.

Also, I frequently use a voice-to-text tool and it doesn't always get everything right.  If I send something that is confusing or doesn't make sense, please let me know.

Please give me a moment to write some more.

Do you know if Max chewed the foil into smaller pieces before swallowing it?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No

There are a few possible outcomes in a situation like this.

In many cases, a piece of foil like this can pass without any issue. If you imagine wadding of the piece of foil into a tube shaped kind of like one of Max's normal bowel movements, it's easy to see that the piece of foil compresses down to something that's probably a lot smaller than one of his typical bowel movements. That kind of compression and wadding up will happen in the digestive tract. As a result, how many times a piece of foil like this will pass without causing any issues whatsoever.

Sometimes a dog who swallows a piece of foil like this will end up throwing it up on their own. That's just another way for the dog's body to deal with it, and it's not expected to lead to any complications.

Only in rare instances would we expect a piece of foil this size to get stuck in the intestines and cause problems that way. This is more likely to happen if the foil is really stiff and heavy duty.

calling now

Is was great to talk to you.  I hope everything goes well and that Max enjoys his late-night bread snack.  Thank you.

-Dr. Jo

Hello.  Just checking in.  How is Max doing?  Thank you.  -Dr. Jo

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks for asking he seems well in himself but still hasn't passed the foil although he has been for a poo

You're welcome.

Passing something usually takes at least two "cycles", if you can understand what I mean.  Sometimes it takes a little longer if the item doesn't move quickly through due to its size.  As long as he's acting okay, eating, and pooping without vomiting, you're in good shape.

Keep up the good work. I'll be pulling for him.

-Dr. Jo

Hello.  Just checking in again. How's Max? Thank you. -Dr. Jo

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi thank you I still haven't seen anything but he is full of life eating and still having a poo

You're welcome. I'm so glad to hear he's still doing well. Unless you were running his bowel movements through a strainer, you might not see the foil. Regardless, as long as everything is going fine, there's no reason to worry.

Customer: replied 10 hours ago.
Max finally passed the foil on Sunday morning thank you so much for all your help

I'm so glad to hear this. Thank you for letting me know. I'm glad it didn't cause a problem.

Be well.

-Dr. Jo