Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog seems to have a problem with his nose there's a bit

Customer Question

My dog seems to have a problem with his nose there's a bit of discolouration, it's leaking a little and his breathing seems a bit laboured
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does this strange breathing happen all the time or only sometimes? Does the dog have a cough as well?
Customer: No cough, but it's been like this for a few days, he's also being very picky with his food
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kiba and he's around 6 or 7, not 100% on his age as got him as a rescue
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No thats about it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 22 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this.What exactly is going on with his breathing and is he breathing faster than 30 breaths a minute when at rest?Could you send a clear photo of his nose?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
He seems to be breathing naturally just heavily as if congested
Thank you.So this pink colour to the nose is new? And he has lost some fur around the nose?Has he been rubbing his nose?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
The pink is pretty normal, its the two whiteish patches that aren't and he spends a fair amount of time licking his nose, i've cleaned it regularly but it does look like dried discharge there on occasion
Thank you.It may well be that the licking has caused the top layer of skin to erode a little, exposing the lower layers of skin which are paler.As Kiba is also off his food, he is likely feeling unwell. This coupled with the altered breathing is a concern.We would hope we are only dealing with a viral respiratory tract infection but we would want to rule out something more serious such as a bacterial or fungal infection, a foreign body lodged in the nose or an allergic reaction to something in the environment.A vet check is best.
They will examine Kiba and may run some tests such as a blood test and chest xray.Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g antibiotics and anti inflammatories.His appetite may be reduced as he cannot smell the food as well so offer warm and and food such as sardines and lamb (if he tolerates these). Otherwise, warm canned food is a good option.Ensure the air is well ventilated and free of dust, cooking fumes and smoke.Don't over do the exercise and keep him in a body harness rather than using a neck collar.Ensure he is up to date with his lungworm prevention.I do hope this helps!
I'm just checking in to ensure this is all OK?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
thats ok thanks
This window stays open for several days so you can keep me updated. Stay safe!