Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Due to collect our new puppy soon. He will be just over 6

Customer Question

Due to collect our new puppy soon. He will be just over 6 weeks. Fully weaned as mum has lost interest. Mum doesn’t interact so seller is looking to let the puppy go sooner than the 8 weeks. I have met both mum and dad and the seller, they’re home and family. All pups seem very healthy. We have a lot of friends with dogs and the puppy will be well socialised. Puppy will have a full Heath check with our vet on way home but is 6.5 weeks too early to bring him home?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the puppy's situation?
Customer: Due to collect our new puppy soon. He will be just over 6 weeks. Fully weaned as mum has lost interest. Mum doesn’t interact so seller is looking to let the puppy go sooner than the 8 weeks. I have met both mum and dad and the seller, they’re home and family. All pups seem very healthy. We have a lot of friends with dogs and the puppy will be well socialised. Puppy will have a full Heath check with our vet on way home but is 6.5 weeks too early to bring him home?
JA: Is he taking any medications?
Customer: No
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Tweed
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

Congratulations on your new pup Tweed!

It would be incredibly rare for a well-bred pup to be re-homed any time before 8 weeks. Most are still drinking regularly from their mother at this age and receiving her antibodies. If the pup is fully weaned from her, we would want to ensure they are eating well and gaining weight each day. As they will have low antibodies without their mother's milk, we might discuss vaccinating him from 7 weeks. This is something to discuss with his future vet and will depend on the brand of vaccine they use.

This is also a very important age for socialising with siblings and learning 'doggy body language' and boundaries. If Tweed is interacting well with his littermates, this will be really critical for his development and is something I would encourage up until at least 8 weeks of age.

Would it be an option for pups to stay together away from mum (if she is fed up) until 8 weeks? I would ask the breeder this.

If this is not possible, you could go to view the pup.

In your situation, I would make an assessment after seeing the pup. Are you happy it is eating well and robust? Does it seem confident and social? Etc.

As I say, for the above reasons it is not ideal but it could potentially be ok under certain circumstances.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We have viewed the pup, he is eating and was socialising with other litter mates
The family are on a working farm and we met both mum and dad. It was mums first litter (13 pups) and she is overwhelmed and doesn’t engage with pups unless seller prevents her from leaving the pups
The pups are around 2 children and are handled all the time.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The seller is a first time breeder and due to being on a working farm has underestimated the time required for the pups. I do feel he will be better with us as he’ll get the care and socialisation he needs. I just don’t want to end up with a reactive dog so I’m hoping by socialising him with dogs we are familiar with will help with this
The pup will also receive a full health check from our vet. They are aware of the age of the pup and have said it sounds as though he will be better with us but not ideal. Guess I’m after a second opinion

I think all you have said sounds sensible and you seem fully aware of what you're getting yourself into.

As you say, if the breeder isn't able to give the pup what it needs at this age and you are better placed to so, it would make sense. This is especially true if the pup isn't getting any milk or socialisation from mum.

You may find the puppy becomes overwhelmed easier when in its new home so you may have to take things a little slower and be more patient than with the average pup; at least in the first few weeks.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for you advice. Greatly appreciated

No problem at all and good luck!