Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Im wondering how much to feed my 9 month staffy, I wouldnt

Customer Question

Im wondering how much to feed my 9 month staffy
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Appetite changes can be worrying. Has the Staffy gained or lost any weight?
Customer: I wouldnt say so Id like to measure out his food and just know how much he should have
JA: What's the Staffy's name?
Customer: Stanley
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 23 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.Is your do over or under weight?
What do they currently weigh?
Which food do you give them?
Finally, do they have anything else e.g. treats or dental chews?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Im not to sure if hes under weight 16kg if my memory serves me right we feed him dry food and no treats just food
Which dry food is he fed? They all have a different calorie content so this is important. There should be a feeding guide on the back of the packet.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I will go check the exaxt name and send a picture of the back may i also ask he seems off not sure if he is sick
That would be great.What exactly is going on? Is he lethargic, off his food or vomiting? When did you notice he wasn't right?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Today hes definitely been lethargic hes still eating not drinking as much he got sick on sunday he also has these scabs in his back and two back legs
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
File attached (65LV427)
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
File attached (V47V327)
As we can see from the chart, we should be feeding about 335g at this age.
If under weight on this amount, increase by 10% and reassess in a week, as this is just a guideline.Lethargy and vomiting can have many causes including an infection, toxin ingestion, gut obstruction etc.Ensure his gums are pink and wet and he continues to eat and go on walks. If he isn't improving, a vet visit is best so he can be assessed in person.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
What about the scabs on his back etc
Could you please send a clear photo?
Has he been rubbing or scratching?
When was he last treated for parasites and which product was used?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Hes been doing both
This indicates itchiness which can have several causes. At this age we would consider e.g. fleas, mites, a bacterial infection or allergies.A photo would help me determine what may be going on.If he hasn't been treated with a prescription parasite prevention such as Advocate in the last lst month, this would be the first thing to do.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
File attached (QM6S1ML)
Unfortunately this photo is very unclear would it be possible to send another?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
File attached (3SZQG36)
Pyc
Cy
CYcd
Cy
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
From that could you judge if he looks well
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Im sorry im not sure whar that means
Apologies, the text changed for some reason.I asked if it would be possible to send a better quality photo as unfortunately I cannot assess the skin in that photo.
Ah thank you the second photo has now come through
The fur looks moth eaten. This often indicates a bacterial infection called a pyoderma which requires a medicated wash and oral antibiotics to treat.This requires a vet visit as these are prescription Medications.Treatment can take several weeks and some dogs will be prone to recurrences.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Would this be the cause for the lethargic behaviour etc
He is gorgeous by the way!
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I really dont think hes well whenever we try to go he just lys down doesnt move this is coming from a very energetic dog and i should have said this is the second time the scabs have arised we brought him to the vet first time they gave us pendonsyal steroid if my memory serves me right
Steroids can reduce itch and inflammation but I would suggest he requires antibiotics; a skin swab would confirm.As you feel he is not himself and are concerned, I would bring him to the vet now for a check up.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I know hes eating etc but i have seen that staffy are high tolerance in pain so in your opinion could he still be in pain sick etc but still eat but could be in serious pain
Absolutely, this is possible.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Thank you we are going tonight one more thing when he goes number one he is getting it on his front paws any ideas to why
This is usually just a "young male dog" thing and they tend to grow out of it when a little older and more wise.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
When i go to the vet what would you recommend me saying and asking for them to check his stomach
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Thats from sunday
I would just say exactly what you have said to me and they will know know to do.
If he vomited in the car it may have been motion sickness.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Never done it berore in car hes in there nearly every day and loves itc
It could have been the heat or motion but, certainly, as he isn't well, we need to have him checked in case there is more to it.
There is nothing remarkable about the vomit, it is just partially digested food.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok thank you shall i ask the vet to look at his stomach etc are just let them look at him
Wishing him all the very best.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi hes just ate a face mask what should I do
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 21 days ago.

Hi there, for new and unrelated questions please open up a new question box. This ensures you can be helped out ASAP.