Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog carpethian shepherd seems to be walking funny, in

Customer Question

My dog carpethian shepherd seems to be walking funny, in fact not wanting to walk at all very wobbly legs. It's fairly warm day. Should I do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does anything look different with the Bassett's legs/feet? When did this start?
Customer: She's a shepherd dog lot like alsation but very hairy
JA: And what's the Bassett's name and age?
Customer: She was rescue as a stray from Romania and we don't know how old she was. But roughly 6 to 10yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She's very nervous dog but she's never gone down and couldn't get up before.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Again it is not a basset
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Her name is Bella
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 22 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Bella is not herself.Has she been out in the heat?
Any panting or drooling?
Has she ever had leg issues before?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
She's not had issues before, but she's a former street dog and we don't know history really until she was rescued. She's been in a room with a fan and open window. Water available but panting yes and drooling ( she does drool a lot anyway and has quite a few teeth missing and part of her tongue.
Panting, drooling and a wobbly walk (ataxia) are a real concern.Possible causes for these signs would include e.g. toxin ingestion, heat stroke, pain caused by a slipped disc etc.Certainly I'm concerned enough to advise a vet visit now if at all possible.They will examine her and perform a full neurological and orthopaedic assessment. If concerned, they may run some tests such as a blood test or xrays.Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g anti inflammatories and pain relief.Keep her as cool and calm as you can; it would help to wet her coat and offer plenty of drinking water. The fan is a good idea, as are soaked towels.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Not at all.
Please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.