Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My french bulldog curls up and lays down on his side and

Customer Question

Hello, my french bulldog curls up and lays down on his side and begins to shake and pant for 30 minutes, but is still responsive.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Romeo, age 4
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I can send you a video
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (164LQL3)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
please help
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Romeo has this issue.
Thank you for the clear video.
This may well be a partial seizure.
This absolutely requires vet investigation.
He needs to be examined and the vet will perform a neurological exam. He should have a blood test. If appropriate, the vet may also advise a brain scan.
Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g anti seizure medicine.If this is a new behaviour, check the home and garden for any potential toxins such as houseplants, human medicine or weedkiller.

I'm just checking in to ensure this is all OK?

You can check back at any time with an update or further questions.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
i’m not even sure if it is a seizure as it lasts 20-40 minutes and he is still able to walk about, not as normal, but he can still get up but prefers to lay down whilst shaking. i’ve read that dogs drool whilst having partial seizures and he doesn’t do that.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
File attached (MLGSG56)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
this is him after laying down, he decided to get up and laid down after this video for another 20 minutes, still shaking. this episode on this day lasted 40 minutes.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
also his neck does some sort of muscle spasm, i’m not sure if he normally does this though as i’ve never noticed to, but he was doing it during the episode in then videos above.
A partial seizure would be a possible cause and not all dogs drool. Some are so focal that they only cause the jaw to shake, for example.As I say, there are other considerations so it would be important to have him checked and run some diagnostic tests so we know what we are dealing with.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
yeah, i have been to the vets and he had a biopsy yesterday and is back home now.. he seems fine, just sleepy as he was on high pain relief.. i will hopefully get the results back tomorrow. the vets think he’s doing the ‘seizures’ because they think he’s in some sort of pain because he has abnormal lumps/cysts on his kidneys too unfortunately, we learnt that when we took him about the seizure episodes.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
he’s been prescribed loxicon
to clarify, he has seen a vet for these episodes and they are suspected to be seizure episodes?
Did the vet run any tests such as a blood test or MRI?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
they don’t know what they are, they said his case is odd, right now they’re working on his kidneys as they believe he may be in pain, that’s why he’s doing the ‘seizures’’.. i will hear more tomorrow as that’s when he gets his results back. he doesn’t had an mri but he did get a blood test & a biopsy for his liver.
Are the blood results back yet?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
i got the blood results back.. they showed that he had high liver, at 800 - it’s suppose to be around 100.. but he had a scan and it showed his liver was fine.. they’re mainly trying to investigate where the pain is coming from as they think he has a pain in his body somewhere which is resulting in the seizure like episodes.
It sounds like they are doing all of the right investigative steps.
An ALT level of 800 is very high and hopefully the biopsy provides results. It isn't unusual for a scan to be inaccurate.
Liver disease can be a cause for seizure like activity.
If the biopsy is normal, the next step may well be an MRI.High liver enzymes with unusual neurological activity can also occur with toxin ingestion so do double check the home and garden for anything he may be getting to such as toxic plants, weedkiller or lawn feed.