Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog hurtled his back leg he Tryed to jump on the decking

Customer Question

Hi my dog hurtled his back leg he Tryed to jump on the decking and missed this was 2 weeks ago Ahmad been watching and he seemed to be ok but I was up in my daughter she has stairs and he found it difficult to get up n down the stairs can u give me any advice plz
JA: Hi there. The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. What's the dog's name?
Customer: im registered with the pdsa
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no that’s it a don’t no if he just staved it sometimes he got up n down the stairs but a few times he struggled
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank u
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 16 days ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear your dog has injured themselves.

To clarify, this is an online advice service and not a vet clinic; hopefully I can help.

What age and breed is he?

Does he ever hold the leg up?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
He’s 4 n a cavichon
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No but now n again he’s limping
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I can’t afford 16 for a call and to be honest I thought I was donating to the pdsa

No, this is an online advice service.

No call will be made and any money taken for the call will be refunded.

When he limps, does he skip with the leg held up for a step or two?

Without further information it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice but I shall certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

Most injuries (like strained muscles) heal within a matter of days in young dogs.

I would be concerned there may be more going on with your dog, such as a ruptured knee ligament or dislocated knee cap.

A vet visit is best to examine him in person. They will check his joints and may advise an xray.

Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g anti inflammatories and pain relief.

I'm just checking in to ensure this is all OK?