Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Sorry pressed wrong button, was just speaking with someone,

Customer Question

Sorry pressed wrong button, was just speaking with someone
JA: What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Hello, I was speaking with someone just now, they said their going to ask the vet, and up came something and I have to pay £5, then dropped the phone, so I’m starting again, my 16 year old ***** ***** name foxy, has a balding patch on her back, which is obviously very irritating her badly, the skin is also very flacks, it has got bigger and now the size a bit bigger than a 50p piece, also the fir is coming out, she also has a large number of cyst ‘s ? they leak brown oily stuff, I’m told there normal for an old dog.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the cyst? Has the dog been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: she has had these cysts for years, more and more, but it’s the patch of flaky , irritating skin I’m more concerned about now, I constantly asked the vet another the cysts, but was always told it’s normal.
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: foxy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: i can’t think of anything thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 16 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Foxy has this issue.

Would it be possible to send a clear photo of the affected skin?

Does she ever scoot her bum on the floor or have trouble with her anal glands?

When was she last treated for parasites and which product was used?

Without further information it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice but I shall certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

The most common causes for these symptoms include a flea reaction, anal gland disease or bacterial infection.

A vet visit is best to examine him and his skin. He may well need some medicine such as a medicated wash, anti itch medicine and oral antibiotics.

Do ensure he is up to date with a good quality parasite prevention such as Advocate. I would also prevent any chewing with a buster collar if needed.

This is just Dr Linda checking in to ensure this is all OK?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** getting back to me, I now know what to do, and ask for.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 15 days ago.

Take care!