Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog is coughing alot. He is 14 and has lumps all over

My dog is coughing alot. He is 14 and has lumps all over him. He's sleeping lots lately but still shows some interest in people coming to house. He also is eating and drinking. I am wondering if he is close to the end.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear this.

When was he last seen by a vet?

Coughing is certainly a concern; has not been going on for more than 2 weeks?

Any other signs such as lethargy, weight loss or a bloated tummy?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I'll take him to vet, its just difficult with covid as its a small practice and I am struggling walking due to arthritis. He's been coughing for weeks, almost like a sneeze the a dry sort of choky sound as if hes got something stuck but I can feel a lump in his neck also.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I dont want to call thank you.

I absolutely agree a vet visit is for the best. Thankfully, most clinics are back to normal hours despite the pandemic. You may find it easier if a friend or neighbour brings your dog in and the vet can call you for an over the phone consult.

A cough in an older dog can have many causes including heart disease , a collapsing trachea, lung infection etc.

The vet will examine him and check his heart and lungs and may run some tests such as a chest xray.

A lump in the neck could be e.g. an enlarged lymph node, which can be a sign of infection or cancer.

Hopefully we know more soon and can start the best treatment for him.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.

Very happy to help.

Please do feel free to keep me updated.