Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

She has got a spotty rash around her nose ,it's enflamed and

She has got a spotty rash around her nose ,it's enflamed and bleeding ,also got ear infection
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How badly is the dog bleeding? When did this start?
Customer: Today ,only spots of blood
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Coady ,she is 9 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: We took her to our vet with it ,but she just treated her for an ear infection ? Thinks she is also coming in to season soon

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Coady has these issues,

Could you please send a clear photo of the affected skin?

When did it begin and does it bother her?

What treatment is she on at the moment?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mpxZP17X7U6mWGEn9
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Please see link attached.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It started around 1 week ago and the vet has given us Synulox and Aurizon

Thank you, ***** ***** typing my reply now.

So, synulox is an antibiotic which is often given for skin infections and would typically be effective for a bacterial infection of the skin around the nose.

However, my concern would be that this is something else such as a fungal infection or parasitic infection (such as mites), especially if the antibiotics have not helped.

Does she rub at the nose as if it bothers her?

Was the skin swabbed or cultured?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
yelps . No

Oh bless her,. it must be very uncomfortable.

When did she start the antibiotics and what dose is she on?

Did the vet also provide any medical washes or creams?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No ,just antibiotics and ear drops .

Ok, sure.

Antibiotics can take a few days to become effective but if it has been more than a few days and there is no change, we may need to change tacks.

I would strongly advise we run some tests such as an impression smear/swab to check for e.g. a fungal infection or mites. We can then ensure she is on the right treatment.

It may be that we need to use a medicated shampoo/topical cream as well as systemic medicine.

If very uncomfortable, she will likely also benefit from some anti-itch / anti inflammatory medicine.

I would use a buster collar so she cannot get to the area and cause further skin damage.

I would also use a dilute solution of Chlorhexidine to bathe the area: This can be bought from any chemist. Dilute it 1:10 with warm water and apply with cotton wool. Leave on for 5 minutes and then gently rinse with wet cotton wool. Do this daily for 5 days. This should help reduce bacteria and fungal levels and can reduce itch a little.

Hopefully we can get on top of this soon as I understand it must be a worry.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Started on Wednesday afternoon 3/4 of tablet twicea day it's Synulox .

I have just seen your update.

As It has only been 48 hours, it could be that the antibiotics have not yet had time to work. You may choose to wait a further 48 hours, especially if she seems settled and things have not worsened.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
She is eating drinking normaly .but more sleepy

Sleepiness would not be expected from the medicine she's on.

It could be a coincidence, the warmer weather or perhaps there is more going on here. If there is an obvious lethargy and she is acting out of character, I would have her seen again sooner so she can be assessed.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The vet said she thought it was just warm weather didnt seem concerned only her ears ?

It's reassuring you mentioned the sleepiness to the vet and she wasn't concerned after assessing her. Ear infections can also be uncomfortable and cause lethargy.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok I will see how she goes then ,thanks for your time and advice ,I am 62 and never had a dog before ,and love her to bits .

She is utterly gorgeous!

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things. Fingers crossed she is on the mend very soon.

This window remains open so please do feel free to keep me updated.

Take care,

Linda.