JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

My 9yr old westie has a gunky eye its not yellow or

My 9yr old westie has a gunky eye its not yellow or green discharge but just brown and mucousy I'm using viso teats as I was told by a vet a few years ago that it may help with dry eye but I inky used it for a short time and everything got better and she hasn't had any trouble until now.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Westie?
Customer: You
JA: Where does the Westie seem to hurt?
Customer: Her eye
JA: OK. What is the Westie's name?
Customer: Hollie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so

Hi there, you are through to Dr. Jake. Im a UK based vet. Im sorry to hear of your concern with your dog, Hollie.

Dry eye is a condition we see in westies. The body attacks its own tear producing cells so that the natural watery tear film over the eye isnt formed and this leads to thick gunky sticky discharge. it can affect one or both eyes. The treatment of choice is cyclosporin which is a medication to prevent further progression of the condition. This is often used in conjunction with the visco tears you have been using.

Because the eyes natural barrier is reduced this can make dogs with dry eye prone to getting eye infections and ulcers and scratches of the eye occur more often.

I would recommend making an appointment with your vet so the eye can be examined with an ophthalmoscope , so it can be stained with a dye to make sure there isnt any scratches or ulcers and for appropriate medications to be provided such as antibiotic eye drops. if there is a scratch, ulcer or infection this will need to be controlled before testing how well the eyes are producing tear and from here your vet can prescribe further medications to help with the dry eye. as above cyclosporin can be used though its expensive, some vets also recommend steroid drops. Visco tears can be used regularly , every 2 hours if you have the time to put it in

i hope all this information helps

kind regards

Dr. Jake