Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog is very lethargic - he is an 8 month old puppy and

Customer Question

Hi my dog is very lethargic - he is an 8 month old puppy and normally very energetic but today he seems low. Normally loves food but not even bothered. He has had kennel cough about 2 months ago and had antibiotics but sounds like he is coughing again only when standing up. He also has an ear infection which he is taking drops for. Could this be to do with anything?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your puppy. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dave
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: His stools are all fine. Don't think anything else.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 19 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.Dave's symptoms of lethargy, reduced appetite and a cough are certainly a concern.The ear infection may be causing some lethargy and discomfort but should not cause a cough.I would be concerned there may be more going on such as a bacterial lung infection.A vet visit is best so he can be examined, focusing on his heart and lungs. They can reassess the ears and also assess his hydration and temperature.In the mean time, offer tempting food such as warm chicken and keep him cool.Ensure he is up to date with lungworm prevention and that the air is well ventilated and free of dust and smoke.

This is just Dr Linda checking in to ensure this is all OK?

I do hope Dave is well.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi thanks for checking. We’ve ended up twice at the vet today. He has a chest infection and a very high temp so they sent us home with antibiotics and then we have had to keep him cool and try lower his temp. So literally covered him in wet towels. We took him back after 5 hrs and his temp had come down but he is still very ill. I managed to get him to eat a little food, wet food, some treats and I gave him some watermelon but he refuses to drink. He is mainly sleeping and we will assess in the morning but if he doesn’t start drinking, we need to take him back. Any other advice???
I'm sorry to hear he has been so poorly today. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things.You can try syringing a small amount of water onto the tip of his tongue every so often.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you - that’s a good suggestion. I’ve just given him a few syringes of water in his mouth.
Hope he is on the mend very soon, bless him.