Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My new puppy making 10 year old dog miserable, recently lost

Customer Question

My new puppy making 10 year old dog miserable
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the puppy's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: recently lost our other 10 year old and hoped a puppy would settle in. Old dog now very miserable. Won’t look or let the puppy near her.
JA: When did the puppy last see a vet? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: 2nd vaccination just given no other medication.
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Charlie.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Think he is just a normal energetic Puppy. It’s the older one shutting down.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
What can I do to help the older day more comfortable?
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 18 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear you are in this position.
Many older dogs find puppies intolerable. They are energetic and dont respect boundaries! They are also usually useless at reading doggy body language.Firstly, ensure the older dog has no underlying issues such as joint disease or a sore tooth that is making them more grumpy. A vet visit is sensible.Next, ensure they each have their own safe space where the other cannot go. This may be a certain room for the older dog and a crate for the pup.Make sure the pup gets lots of your attention and is provided with ample physical and mental stimulation such as training, games and interactive toys. The more they have to do, the less likely they are to irritate the older dog.Reward the puppy when they interact well (calm) and the older dog when they are tolerant. If either becomes unhappy when together, remove them from the situation.It can take months for dogs to co exist happily so don't expect them to warm up up each other right away.Finally, ensure your older dog doesn't feel pushed aside and give them plenty of attention and cuddles. If anxious, consider an Adaptil plug in and some natural calming supplements.I do hope this helps.

I'm just checking in to ensure this is all OK?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Just the same. Will get an Adaptil plug ASAP, just hope there will be a happy ever after!
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Fingers crossed all works out well!
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
How long after puppies 2nd vaccination can he walk outside?
We generally say 1 week in healthy pups.