Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

What can I do for my dog as he has separation anxiety and

What can I do for my dog as he has separation anxiety and barks and jumps up at people when they leave this has only begun since the pandemic started and we both worked from home
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this anxiety? Does it happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: it’s more recently but started last year when the pandemic started he is a pug three years old and when people leave our home or get out the car he barks very aggressively he jumps up too We do tell him off and when the person has left he calms down back to his normal self. I am female and when I leave to go to work he goes in his crate no problem and settles when my partner who is male leaves he jumps up and barks
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the dog with his aggression?
Customer: no we don’t know what to do apart from say no
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Archie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no he is healthy three years old pedigree pug who is normally a lovely loving dog he mixes well with other dogs children and people and since been a puppy we have always mixed him socially introducing him to different sounds etc He goes to day care lady who also has a dog and she said he is fine there
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?
They can suffer from anxiety similar too humans. The concern is that anxiety can progress and worsen over time. As this occurs more signs and behavioral changes may be seen also. At times aggression can come about too. They may also show many different clinical signs as changes in eating, drinking, sleeping, over grooming and at times more depressed.
If they are suffering from this amount of anxiety, you may want to consider medical help. There is a very good and safe medication called Paroxetine, generic Paxil. This works very well to help bring the anxiety level down over time. This generally begins to take effect after being on it for 1-2 months. Following 1-2 months of use, then one can assess the response to the medication. The dosage can then be adjusted accordingly at that point in time. For more stressful times a medication called Alprazolam can be considered. Alprazolam can last 4-8 hours at a time. It can be used on more of an as needed basis. This is something that you can discuss with your veterinarian or another medication of their preference also. Often behavior modification alone will not address the intense anxiety that they experience.An over the counter option some clients have had some success with are the CBD oils.Often one can look to even start with CBD oils as they are over the counter. The key is to reduce stress and anxiety. The concern is that if this continues over time the potential anxiety can worsen. This can lead to more stress, poorer quality of life, and more behavioral issues too. This is why focusing on the underlying issue can be most beneficial. If only trying to correct a behavior then often process is not made and the anxiety can become worse.
I wanted to provide this information for you to review and consider until you were able to respond and we can discuss more. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. I will be happy to discuss them more with you. It has been a pleasure assisting you and your little one today. I wish for a speedy recovery and have a great day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I don’t really want to start medication as will this not affect him Is there no training courses which could help him as I’m afraid he might get that stressed and snack someone