Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My one year old dachshund has a swollen gland in his neck

Customer Question

my one year old dachshund has a swollen gland in his neck and keeps licking his bottom and appears to struggle to poo but his stools were a little loose when he did which are now back to normal.I took him to the vet and they put a needle in his lump and were happy it was just saliva so gave him a steroid injection and antibiotics synulux and promax.His temp was fined little at the top end but they were happy with that too.They gave me a special food to help his tummy.He is still eating through all this.He was completely fine all day yesterday but at 11pm he was sick 5 times then at 1am I gave him his antibiotic and he slept through except once sitting up for a few minutes in the night.He has woken this morning and had his breakfast and pooed nicely but he is not himself and wants to sit at my feet and is unhappy.Another point to add which I asked about yesterday is that his bottom above his anus protrudes now and again.She felt the area inside and said his prostate is slightly swollen but again they were happy with that but today its protruding a lot and he keeps licking the area .I don't know if it's all connected or not or if he feels I'm stressed so is unhappy.I am a paranoid dog owner but you know like when something isn't right
JA: The Expert will know how to help with the constipation. What's the Dachshund's name?
Customer: wilbur he hasn't got constipation
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 7 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this about Wilbur.I would suggest you get a 2nd opinion today, given all you have said.I would be very suspicious that he has impacted or infected anal glands that need expressing. If not the case, we would be concerned about a potential hernia and should image his bum area.With regards ***** ***** in his neck, salivary mucoceles are serious and often require surgery if they are to be treated successfully.As he is unwell, I would want to check his hydration and ensure he hasn't developed a fever.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He had his anal glands cleared I forgot to say.
His bottom protrudes but doesn’t go back in
He had his temp checked and that was ok too
He is drinking
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Sorry that’s auto corrected
I meant his bottom does go back in
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (VP1LQQ3)
Thank you for this clear photo.This swellingnis very large and needs immediate attention.This could be a large abscess or hernia. We should image it with an ultrasound.I wouldn't delay and would have him seen today given that the swelling is so large and he is now unwell.
While his temperature may have been normal when checked, these things can change quickly.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He has has this on and off since we got him and there’s been no problem and I’ve asked several times
They say as it goes back in it’s not an issue but are you saying it is then
Absolutely, this is an issue and is very abnormal. I would get a 2nd opinion as this could be a hernia which requires surgery.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok and why does his neck have a swelling is this connected
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Like I said she put a needle in and was happy it was saliva but is this related to his bottom
If the vet aspirated saliva then this is called a salivary mucocele and this would not be related.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
he has two things wrong ? He’s only 1
it would appear he has two separate issues.While unusual, this wouldn't be impossible at this age.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
the fact his bottom hasn’t changed since he was little and has always protruded in and out at times it’s still an emergency is that right
From your description, a hernia is more likely than an infection.
Hernias become emergencies if the swelling is suddenly larger, tense or associated with signs such as vomiting or a fever. This is because it could indicate a part of the gut or another organ has become trapped in the hernia.
You may find this website useful:https://bluepearlvet.com/medical-articles-for-pet-owners/perineal-hernia/
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can I ask another question
Two tablets every 12 hours does that mean two at once
That is how I would interpretation that instruction, yes. To be sure, it is best to ask the prescribing vet.