Susan MRCVS
Susan MRCVS,
Experience:  Expert
112619934

My dogs have just attacked my chicken and she has a large

Customer Question

My dogs have just attacked my chicken and she has a large wound on her back. What can I do for her?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the dog hurt herself? Is there any bleeding or swelling?
Customer: Sorry, I wasn't clear. It's the chicken that's injured. It happened about half an hour ago.
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: It's a chicken - not a dog!
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don't kow.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Susan MRCVS replied 18 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’m a veterinary surgeon in the UK. I will try and help you as best I can.

How is the chicken feeling now? Are you able to see a vet today with her?

Dog bites can leave quite deep wounds that may have punctured the lungs or intestines so I'd want to get a bite wound checked immediately.   Dogs also have a lot of bacteria in their mouths and often bite wounds get infected so your chicken may well require antibiotics and a wound flush with sterile saline.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I took her to the vet. She was very badly injured and had to be put to sleep.

I’m so sorry to hear that. Take care.