Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog keeps being sick is not eating and can't go to poo

my dog keeps being sick is not eating and can't go to poo
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.What age and breed is your dog?
When did this begin?
Is he straining to poo?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
he is 14 and a Yorkshire terrier it started yesterday and yes he is straining a lot.have just managed to get him to eat a small bit of food
Thank you for this additional information.Is he passing urine?
Has he been neutered?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
hes ok passing urine ok.yes has been neutered
Thank you.Are his gums pink and wet?
Is he alert and active?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
gum pink and wet though younger very red.seems to be a bit more alert goes down garden on his own
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
sorry tounge red
Thank you.Do you know when he was last treated for parasites and with which product?Has he ever had anal gland issues in the past?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
think he was worked about 3 or 4 months ago. no gland problems
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
wormed
I am just typing my full reply now which will take a few minutes.
Given his age and symptoms, I would advise a vet check.Straining could be due to an obstruction, colitis (inflammation), anal gland impaction, rectal growth etc.I would want to check for a fever and ensure he is is hydrated.The vet may run some tests such as an abdominal scan if concerned. They also have the option of starting medicine such as anti inflammatories and laxative if needed.At home, offer a bland diet of chicken and rice and plenty of water.If he cannot settle tonight, I would have him seen if at all possible.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
thankyou
Not at all.This window stays open for several days so you can keep me updated.Stay safe.