Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My labradoodle (5months) has very loose stools although

Customer Question

Hi, my labradoodle (5months) has very loose stools although there is no mucus or blood when she does the toilet. She has been on various dry foods (James wellbelvoved, Royal Canine and Dr Johns since I've had her) She is now on Hills Science Puppy food but her stools are still the same. I often can't pick them up they are so bad. She doesn't get a break. She is well in herself apart from the stools situation. She is not vomiting. I give her a carrot in her food once a week for fibre, as suggested by my vet but its not made a difference.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Nelly
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, that's all I can think of. Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 10 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.Has there been any vomiting, weight loss or bloating?
When was Nelly last wormed?
Has the stool been analysed?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No there's no vomiting, no weight loss (my vet says she's a very healthy weight - 12.7kg last time she was weighed), no bloating either. Nelly gets wormed every month. No her stool hasn't been analysed
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
no I don't want a live phone call
I am happy to continue talking via typing.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Do you know the name of the wormer?Any chance she has been eating something she shouldn't have such as houseplants, lawn feed, bones, human food or cleaning products?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No she is greedy for food but I make sure she doesn't get to eat anything she's not supposed to and she's not interested in plants etc. We have a shared garden with our neighbours so she's never left in the garden on her own, I am always there
Thank you, ***** ***** to know.And do you know the name of the wormer? Is it a broad acting one prescribed by the vet (some are more effective than others and a number of workers only treat against one type of parasite).
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I can't remember the name of the wormer but I do get it from the vet every month
Ok, sure.I would just double check with them it is a broad acting one. Panacur is good as it treats protozoa, roundworms etc.With such ongoing diarrhoea, it is best we run some tests. A stool analysis would be a good place to start and, if normal, we may consider some blood tests.In the mean time, I would stick to one food type and avoid avoid treats or chews. I would also start some daily probiotics.As Nelly is at higher risk of dehydration, especially in hot weather, ensure she is drinking plenty and consider adding water to her meals.Hopefully we can resolve this soon as I appreciate it must be a real source of stress.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok thank you
Not at all.Please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.