Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 2 months old chihuahua ate around 150 grams of my other

Customer Question

hello. my 2 months old chihuahua ate around 150 grams of my other dogs adult food. hes been quiet and his tummy is huge. should i take him to the vet?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Chihuahua will be able to digest that. What is the Chihuahua's name?
Customer: Brownie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Brownie has been quiet and laying down. he's also really thirsty
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 6 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.
Typically with something like this, a dog can be treated at home. We would advise letting him rest and drink water and starving for 6-12 hours. When we feed, we should offer small meals of something very digestible such as chicken and rice.However, if he seems lethargic or develops other symptoms, a vet visit is best.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Dr Linda. Thank you very much. He usually just eats his recommended amount of puppy food per day but he managed to get to his "big sister" bowl and ate all her food. He usually eats small amounts 4 times a day but his food drive is HUGE. At the breeders house he had access to a full bowl all day, which makes me think he would spend the days eating... at my house he's always looking for something to eat... crumbs, leaves, dirt, the other dog's food, treats, etc.
Is there anything that I can do to help him? he eats royal canin for puppies...
Bless him, poor boy.
If he is growing as expected and is a healthy weight, I would keep doing what you are.
If he is slim, consider increasing his meal size by 10% and see if this may help.
Some dogs naturally have big appetites and a young dog's calorie requirements are THREE times that of an adult (so they can get very hungry, especially when going through growth spurts).
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
he is growing and his weight is on point. He also sleeps a lot and responds well to all our little training sessions. Drinks plenty of water, always playful when awake... he's a really good yet hungry puppy. My other dog (Cookie) is a 16 months Bichon Frise and even though she loves her food, she's nothing like this... Thank you for your help, I will keep an eye on him and wait until the evening to give him some boiled rice or chicken.
That all sounds really reassuring. This window stays open for several days so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.