Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog has eclampsia after giving birth a month ago. I have

Customer Question

Hi, my dog has eclampsia after giving birth a month ago. I have given her calcium and honey, however she is very weak, disorientated and shaking. She won't eat or lie down. I have tried to get into a vet but everything is booked up. What can I do to treat her? Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 12 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this.
She needs intravenous calcium immediately. This is important as dogs can pass away quickly from this disease if not treated aggressively and promptly.
As this is a true emergency, any vet should be able to see your dog. I would call your most local clinic and advise then of how serious the situation is; they should absolutely be able to see you.

Hi there, this is just Dr Linda checking in to see how Cali is doing?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ahh thank you. We managed to get her in the vets. She has mastitis, and has been given antibiotics for it. Thankfully it wasn’t as bad as first thought.

Oh fantastic, I'm so glad she has been seen and all is well. Thanks so much for keeping me in the loop and wishing Cali a very speedy recovery.