Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a four-year-old Iranian rescue who is suddenly off

Customer Question

I have a four-year-old Jack Iranian rescue who is suddenly off his food he is drinking fluid is generally happy in himself what shall I do do
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the dog's appetite? How is his energy level?
Customer: I would say about 1 week ago his energy is the same
JA: Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: none whatsoever
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Rolo
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: gave him fresh roast chicken instead of Kibble but that just went through him if you know what I mean he wants to eat but when I put his Kibble out he doesn't eat it or takes his time through the day to eat his excitement for food has gone but he is still playful and barks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 7 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Rolo is off his food.

When did he last eat something?

Is he still taking treats, chews and dental sticks?

Does he have any diarrhoea, vomiting, weight loss, panting or lethargy?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
he had breakfast as usual earlier this morning he sniffed it and looked at me he spat out his treat when we walked earlier I am at work at the moment he is at home with my mum not sure whether he has eaten his breakfast now he didn't use the bathroom this morning as is usual no vomiting no lethargy or weight loss

I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that is ok.

So he is eating, but less than normal.

Do you know if he has lost any weight or is lethargic?

Some dogs do naturally eat less when the weather is warm.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
no weightloss

That is reassuring.

If he is not losing weight and has good energy and can go on walks and be social, this is very reassuring.

Similarly, in the absence of other signs such as vomiting or dry gums, a reduced appetite is less of a worry.

I would add up the calories of everything he eats by using a food diary as you may find he is getting enough calories for his age and weight.

I would also monitor closely for any other symptoms and check his weight each day.

As I say, it can be temperature related and dogs are naturally less active and hungry when it is humid.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
ok yes reassuring that he still wants to play and is drinking lots I will keep an eye on things thank you for your advice
Not at all.
This window stays open for several days so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have just remembered something
Rolo keeps eating grass or trying to find bits of long grass to eat but he has NOT been sick

Dogs often eat grass and it can be because summer grass is high in sugar and tasty.

For some, it indicates they are nauseous or have parasites.

It can also be associated with bile in the stomach.

Ensure he is up to date with his wormer and try to distract him when he tries to eat the grass.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
thanks again much appreciated
Sure thing!